LEX Matching Game
Can you match these consumer products to the farm-grown commodity they are derived from?
Here are the connections between the products and the commodities they are derived from (no peeking until you’ve tried to match them!)
- Gelatin also comes from cattle. It’s made of the bone, skin, and connective tissues of the cattle. Candy such as gummy bears are made using gelatin.
- Leather made from the hide of cattle is used in making products like belts or wallets.
- Tallow is fat from cattle, and is used in products such as soap and margarine.
- You might be able to find the ingredient “zea mays” on your cosmetics labels. This is the scientific name for corn. There are many ways corn is used in your cosmetics, including: starch, oil, meal, powder, extract, and gluten.
- The flavoring and the sweetness that comes from sorbitol, a corn glucose derivative, is used in toothpaste.
- Cornstarch is a common ingredient in matchsticks, and sticks formed from paper instead of wood include corn products that increase rigidity.
- Jellybeans are made with the help of powdered cornstarch. It is used to coat the molds so the jelly beans pop out after they’re molded.
- Natural glues like Elmer’s are produced from corn flour, plywood glue is made from corn oil and envelope glue is made from nitrocellulose glue.
- Gelatin used in making marshmallows is made from the bone, skin and connective tissues of pigs.
- Scraps of meat and fat from pigs are used in making pet food.
- Hair is used in making the bristles of paint brushes.
- Glycerin made of pig by-products is used in explosives.
- The intestines of pigs are dried, stretched and twisted to create violin strings.
- Soy lecithin is used in chewing gum. It acts as a preservative, helps keep the gum from sticking to the package, and even the gum’s hard outer shell is made from soy lecithin.Soybean oil is a key component to making crayons. Soy crayons are easier to use as they glide smoother and don’t flake. The colors created using the soybean oils are brighter, are less toxic to children and are biodegradable.
- Soy-based inks are used by a lot of newspapers because its more environmentally friendly. Soy-based inks are also able to produce higher quality and more accurate colors.
- Soy candles are made from soy wax, which is made from soybean oil. Soy candles offer benefits such as burning longer and producing a stronger scent, as opposed to traditional candles. Soy candles are also biodegradable.Soybean oil is used to make paintballs. The soybean oil makes the paint inside the balls environmentally friendly, while keeping a similar shape and flight compared to paintballs made with other oils.